Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Pause, Rewind, Replay

I love digital cable! Ever since my siblings enlightened me to the Free On-Demand Channel I can watch my favorite shows whenever I want. With the power to pause, rewind, and fast-forward, I can always cut right to the good stuff. Truly digital cable is among the marvels of the modern world. But enough of about that, let's go get on with today's topic.

The official rulebook states:
    "After you’ve announced your attacking monster and the attack target monster during a Battle Step, the attack target might be removed from the field, or a new monster may be placed on the opponent’s side of the field before the Damage Step, due to a card’s effect. This causes a "Replay". When this occurs, you can choose to attack with the same monster again, or choose to attack with a different monster, or choose not to attack at all. Note that if you attack with a different monster, the first monster is still considered to have declared an attack, and it cannot attack again this turn."
In a hypothetical example:
My opponent has 3 monsters out: Red Gadget, Green Gadget, and Yellow Gadget.
I declare an attack on Red Gadget with my Gravekeeper's Commandant.
My opponent responds by using Ring of Destruction on his Green Gadget.
After Ring of Destruction resolves, does a replay occur?

Technically speaking the original attack target was not removed nor were any new targets put into play, so any rationale for a replay based on the definition provided in the rulebook would dubious.

However, after conferring with other sources, I've confirmed that a replay would occur and here's why.

In the past I've told players that a replay occurs when the number of attack targets on the defending player's side of the field increases or decreases, even temporarily. However, as Curtis Chang pointed out:
    The official rulebook implies regarding Replay rules that if the number of monsters change on the defending player's field, then a replay would occur. While the explanation doesn't explicitly say so, the diagram in the rulebook implies that a replay would still occur (page 32, if you're looking).
For those of you interested, this is the page Curtis was referring to:


There are also instances in which the number of monsters on the field does not change and yet a replay still occurs.
    You have 4 Sheep Tokens on your side of the field. I attempt to attack directly with Jinzo - Returner. You respond by activating Skill Drain. Since Jinzo - Returner can no longer attack directly, a replay occurs.

    If I have 2 Magician's Valkyrias and a Junk Synchron on my field. You declare an attack on Junk Synchron with Black Tyranno and activate DNA Surgery, declaring "Dinosaur". Since the Valkyrias would now become legal targets, a replay would occur.

    If you declare an attack against Marauding Captain while I control another Warrior-type monster, and I use Book of Moon or Ready for Intercepting on my Marauding Captain, the number of monsters in my control won't change. However, a replay will be generated because that other monster will now become a legal attack target.

    Lets say you control a Shadowslayer, declare a direct attack, and then I activate Final Attack Orders while controlling at least one face-up defense position monster. After my trap card resolves, the number of monster's won't change, but a replay will be generated because the player will no longer be a legal attack target. Likewise, if you attack my only monster and Book of Moon is activated to flip it face-down, a replay will occur because the player has just become a legal attack target.
After all that it should be clear the only criteria for a replay to occur is when the potential attack target(s), whether it be a monster or a player directly, changes or becomes (il)legal.

Remember players, the game ends with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment