Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Whiplash


The resemble is uncanny, eh? I thought so anyway.

Now I'm not a huge fan of Gladiator Beasts, but even I have to admit that they can be brutal. Back when the archetype dominated the meta, summoning a Gladiator Beast Darius and using it to revive a Bestiari only to Contact Fuse them into Gyzarus was brutal.


Their power waned a bit once Synchros came into the mix and Bestiari became restricted to one, but Gladiator Beasts started seeing more play at the last Shonen Jump Championship. Using Elemental Hero Prisma to send a Bestiari to the Graveyard and then tagging the Prisma (now Bestiari) out with a Test Tiger allowed for easy Gyzarus plays. Using a Cold Wave or Gladiator Beast War Chariot would usually guarantee the combo would go through unhitched.


Speaking of which, I've recently received an update regarding Gladiator Beast Darius's effect. Check it:
From: Pepe
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:14 AM
To: us-ygorules@konami.com
Subject: Regarding GB Darius

Hi,


I have some questions regarding Darius and his negation effect.


1.- Will flipping the negated monster face-down and then face-up sever the connection between them and stop the negation?


2.- If Darius is flipped face-down and then face-up, will the negation start again?


3.- If I chain Bottomless Trap Hole or Compulsory Evacuation Device to Darius's effect, is the summoned monster's effect still negated?

4.- If I chain Book of Moon to Darius's effect, is the summoned monster's effect still negated?


Thanks.
The response:

From: US YGO Rules [us-ygorules@konami.com]
Date: Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Subject: RE: Regarding GB Darius

To: Pepe

1. Yes

2. No

3. No

4. No
Now the answers to the first two questions is the same as its always been. However, in the case of the bolded areas the ruling's been reversed. What's this mean? Well if Darius is not on the field at the time when the Gladiator Beast it revives is summoned, then that monster will not have its effect negated. Let's break it down.
  • I Normal Summon Elemental Hero Prisma and use its effect to send Gladiator Beast Bestiari to the Graveyard.
  • Since Elemental Hero Prisma would now be a Gladiator Beast, I can Special Summon Test Tiger from my hand.
  • I tribute Test Tiger with its effect and return the Elemental Hero Prisma to my Deck to Special Summon Gladiator Beast Darius.
  • When Gladiator Beast Darius is successful summoned I use its effect declaring my intention to revive my Gladiator Beast Bestiari.
  • At this point, my opponent chains Bottomless Trap Hole on Gladiator Beast Darius. Since the chain would resolve in reverse, Gladiator Beast Darius would be removed from play first and then Gladiator Beast Bestiari would be Special Summoned.
  • Since Gladiator Beast Darius and the monster it revived were never on the Field simultaneously, the Gladiator Beast Bestiari would not get its effect negated.
Simple enough.

Remember players, the game ends with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment