Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog Top Yu-Gi-Oh Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Plague of Frogs


It is come to my attention that there are a large number of players that—while they may be able to grasp enough of the gameplay—lack sufficient understanding of simple game mechanics. One of these mechanics is the concept of "missing the timing." 

Now I'll admit, the fact that cards can miss their timing closes off a world of combos. I was disappointed when I learned that using Ceasefire would not allow me to trigger Flip Flop Frog's effect and bounce my opponent's monsters after inflicting damage to them. But I digress, it's just one of those things players have to come to acknowledge.

About a week ago, a friend of mine was telling me how he lost to some kids at his locals. From his description it was evident that the players didn't realized that certain combos wouldn't not work due to missing the time. Although I was able to convince him, the players would not accept my word since I'm technically not a judge (yet).

I subsequently e-mailed Konami to prove my point, and yesterday they finally responded:

From: ****** ******* [mailto:icemanhotty@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 7:44 AM
To: us-ygorules@konami.com
Subject: Frog Rulings
I'd like to clarify some rulings since the previously released rulings which don't expressly state what I presume to be true.

1) A Poison Draw Frog that is tributed for the cost of another card effect (ex. Substitoad, Mass Driver, Enemy Controller, Spiritual Water Art - Aoi) will miss the timing for its effect, correct? This is because it is an Optional Trigger Effect. But would I also miss the timing if it were used for a Synchro Summon or Tribute Summon?
2) Same question, but for Dupe Frog, which also has the word "can" in its effect.

Thank you for your time.
From: US YGO Rules
To: ****** *******
Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 1:15:25 PM
Subject: RE: Frog Rulings
Correct on all counts. The timing will be missed for both of those cards in the scenarios you described, including being used for a Synchro Summon or Tribute Summon.

Now I'll say it here: I'm not perfect, I don't know every single ruling out there and occasionally I'll make mistakes.

I was once asked what would happen if an Ally of Justice Catastor battled a Neo-Spacian Grand Mole. At the time, not knowing that there was already a ruling for it, I told my friends that the attacking monster would be Chain Link 1 and the other Chain Link 2 in terms of activation. As I would later find out, this is completely wrong. Grand Mole's effect is optional, whereas Catastor's is mandatory. As such, Catastor would always be Chain Link 1 in this instance:
If “Ally of Justice Catastor” battles “Neo-Spacian Grand Mole,” the mandatory effect of Catastor will activate first and become Chain Link 1 and the effect of “Neo-Spacian Grand Mole” will be Chained to it.
If I do make a mistake I will correct myself, and I usually try to contact everyone I've mislead to inform them. It can be troublesome at times, but its definitely worth it when I can help others improve their game. 

On that note, it seems that Frog Monarchs are still putting up a fight in the OCG. Will they continue to dominate? Only time will tell.

Remember players, the game ends with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment